Fall is near (!!!!) and one of my favorite things about fall is pumpkin flavored everything!!! So I went on the search for a pumpkin cupcake with a cinnamon cream cheese icing, and I definitely succeeded. This has got to be one of the best cupcakes I have ever tasted. Sure it took sometime to make but it was worth it.
What you will need for the cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
What you will need for the icing:
1 (8) ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 stick margarine, softened
1 lbs. confectioners’ sugar
1/2 TBS ground cinnamon
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
Let's get baking!!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners set aside. Then in a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and set aside.
2. In a mixer bowl or a regular large bowl, mix together, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and eggs. Add dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth. Then slowly mix in pumpkin puree.
3. Divide batter evenly among liners. (I used an ice-cream scoop and it made the perfect size cupcakes), filling each about halfway. Bake them for about 20-25 minutes debating on your oven, mine took about 23 minutes to cook. Then place on a cooling rack and wait about 20 more minutes for them to cool before icing them.
Now for the icing:
1. Using a mixer, blend the butter and cream cheese together until well combined.
2. Gradually add in the confectioners’ sugar until fully incorporated.
3. Finally mix in vanilla and cinnamon.
This recipe makes around 20 cupcakes and there may be some left over icing depending on how icing happy you are. When making these I tried to make the icing 'Fancy' on the top but failed miserably so I just decided to spread it on to the top. Make sure you store these cupcakes in the fridge because of the cream cheese icing.
Hope you're having a nice weekend, See ya!
P.S. This recipe was adapted from My Baking Addiction