The other day I was thinking to myself, "What if I made a tiny cake?" And that's exactly what I did. So I went out to the store, bought two tiny cake tins, the ingredients I needed and started to bake. The cake I am showing you how to bake is caramel and vanilla and it is absolutely delicious.
What you will need:
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1¼ Cup Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 sticks butter, softened
Time to bake!
Let's get started with the buttercream!
- Start by mixing the water, corn syrup, and granulated sugar together in a small sauce pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and wait until it is a golden brown, don't mix. DO NOT let the sides of the caramel mixture get too dark brown. I made this mistake at first and had to start over.
- When the mixture is a golden brown turn off the heat then quickly pour in the cream.
- Now mix the ingredients together then pour into small bowl too let cool.
While we wait for the caramel to cool, let's start on the cake!
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix the room temperature butter and granulated sugar together in a mixer.
- Now add the eggs.
- In a different bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt.
- When the butter and sugar are well mixed, add in the dry mixture and as you do gradually add in the buttermilk.
- Mix in vanilla. At this time you would also put in the salt and lemon juice which I forgot to put in but can still be added.
- Pour in the mixed batter to the two pans. Since this is a tiny cake, I used two 6 inch x 2 inch pans. This recipe is adaptable to bigger pans.
- Put in the oven for about 25 minutes, you may need to keep it in longer if it is not cooked all of the way through.
- To finish the butter cream combined the butter and powdered sugar together in the mixer.
- When it is mixed evenly, add cooled caramel.
- When the cake is done let cool for 20 minutes then spread the buttercream on evenly.